We’ll write more about radon and real estate soon but it is worth mentioning now that we are 0-3 on our last three radon tests. All three of our buyer’s inspections have come back with higher than acceptable levels. The EPA publishes A Citizen’s Guide to Radon:
Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas.
You can’t see radon. And you can’t smell it or taste it. But it may be a problem in your home.
Radon is estimated to cause many thousands of deaths each year.
That’s because when you breathe air containing radon, you can get lung
cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the
second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. Only
smoking causes more lung cancer deaths. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high.
There is brief mention of radon in the Oregon Property Buyer’s Advisory under the Environmental Hazards section.